- About CDSP
- Alumni / ae
- News & Info
Nearly 200 supporters of Church Divinity School of the Pacific have included CDSP in their will or estate plans, thereby earning them an honored place on the wall in Denniston Commons at CDSP, as a member of the George and Augusta Gibbs Society.
George and Augusta Gibbs offered a building and property in San Mateo in the 1890s to build the West Coast's first Episcopal "divinity school." George Gibbs also added stock from his iron business to help fund the new seminary. The original seminary building in San Mateo was known as Gibbs Hall.
Later, after the death of George Gibbs, Augusta continued her support for CDSP, building a new seminary as part of Grace Cathedral after the San Francisco earthquake in 1906, as a memorial to her husband. In honor of the Gibbs legacy, the seminary named its first building on the new Berkeley campus Gibbs Hall. Built in the 1930s, it served as a classroom, office residence and chapel for the school. It now is a guest residence with meeting rooms and the sacristy office for All Saints Chapel.
The Gibbs Society membership meets once a year at luncheon at CDSP.
To learn more about joining the Gibbs Society, contact Richard Schaper.